Swim Season Recap

By Unknown - 9:25 AM



CMSV FEMALE DOLPHINS WIN 200 MEDLEY RELAY
This swim season was a rush for me. It was my first swim season as a collegiate athlete
and there was a lot of adjusting to be done. I had to find my place in a team as one of
the few freshman experiencing life away from home in a team ready to train harder than
I ever had. I competed against girls from ages 17 to their 40's. From having morning
practice at 6 am four times a week every week, to learning how to eat properly,
to learning to try to control my emotions, this swim season was primarily lesson
after lesson. I was able to compete with amazing girls, travel to amazing places,
and be coached by my amazing coaches. Although there were many things I had
to miss due to practice (parties, events, etc.), I truly learned how to balance my
time and prioritize. To be a college athlete is a hard task, no matter what division
you are in. Some weeks I spent over 20 hours on a pool deck, making me realize
that the time I wasn't training should be utilized for sleeping and studying. That
was perfectly fine with me. I managed to balance my time extremely well most days.
I became closer with many girls that I probably would have never known without
swimming. Most importantly, I learned to have self confidence in myself and what
I'm doing. Last Thursday was our championship meet, and to say it was bittersweet
doesn't truly capture all of the emotions that I felt. That day my team of six female swimmers
walked out placing fourth. We ended up fighting and winning several events, two of
which I was a part of. I had always dreamed about that moment. The moment when you finally realize
that all of your hard work has paid off.
For someone who has never been a Conference Champ before,
this was huge for me. I finally realized that all of those swims I felt like I couldn't do anymore,
the runs I struggled to keep up in, the injuries I pushed through, and the mental toughness
I had to fight for was completely and totally worth it. The event that I always dreamed of winning,
the 100 fly, was right there in front of me. I couldn't go a day without thinking
about it. The day after I finally won the event I dreamed about for years, I received
a letter saying that I made Dean's list. The stress, the hard work, the late nights, and the early
mornings paid off in that one split second. It's a feeling that I want to have over and over again.
So to you, or to anyone else that has thought about quitting anything, I ask you not to.
Push through it one more day. And then another one. And then one more. Because
if you truly love what you're doing, despite how hard it is, you'll realize that it's worth it.
Infinite x's and o's,
Kylee

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments