10 Things to Remember While You're in College

By Unknown - 7:49 AM


I remember wishing away the days in high school yearning for my college days. Before I knew it, I was moving into my freshman dorm, scared and nervous about what the year was to bring. Looking back, I want to laugh about how intimidated I was. I wish I could go back in time and shake myself and say "you'll be fine". In fact, there are several times I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to calm down. During one year I feel that I have accumulated enough knowledge to remember these 10 things my next three years.


1. Take care of yourself.
Your time in college is precious and fleeting. That being said, you need to make sure that you take care of yourself every day so that each minute is lived to the fullest. So, while eating lots of fried foods seems yummy, the freshman 15 is real. So is the sophomore, junior, and senior 15. Eat healthy. Stay hydrated. Destress. Get sleep. These are some of the most important tips that many people forget to tell you.

2. Sunday's set the tone for the rest of the week.

As much as every college girl loves Friday nights (and let's be honest, we all do), I also find myself getting excited to Sunday's to roll around. I usually spend my Sundays getting all of my homework and reading done for the rest of the week, cleaning my room, doing my laundry, watching the Kardashians, and going to bed early. I know, it seems totally boring. But if my Sunday is low key and productive, I find that the rest of my week usually goes pretty smoothly.

3. Sometimes you have to wear sweatpants to class.

That being said, sometimes you do oversleep or don't sleep at all. So when you're late to your 8:30 lab it's totally fine to wear sweatpants. Seriously, Victoria Secret sweatpants are like $50 a pair. They deserve to be worn out too.

4. Do what you're supposed to do.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is listening to people complain at the end of the semester about their grades when they literally did nothing for the last twelve weeks. Go to class. Do your homework. Write your papers. Study. Really, it's as simple as that.

5. Give back every now and then. 

Take a step back every once and awhile and give back to those around you. Whether you volunteer at a soup kitchen or just help look over some of your friends papers, doing something for someone else really puts things into perspective. You learn to appreciate all of the things you've been blessed with and the opportunities you're given on a daily basis. It really does make you feel better and is the perfect way to defunk midsemester.

6. You most likely will not marry that guy at the party.

Sure, go ahead and flirt with guys. But you need to be aware of what you're doing. If you're falling head over heels for a guy who only notices you when he's a couple rounds of beer pong in and texts you "wyd" at 2 am, maybe he isn't your prince charming. That's okay.

7. College is a little community. Take advantage of that.

My first couple weeks at school were really hard because I lost my grandparents within a month of each other. Before I really even knew the people around me, they were knocking on my door, offering hugs and shoulders to cry on. Realizing that we had established a small community before the semester was even in full swing was such an overwhelming feeling. Through the year we were all there for each other, offering baked goods and an nonjudgmental ear whenever the other needed it.

8. Explore off campus. 

I'm so lucky to live in New York City because there is always something new to do. Wherever you live, whether it be on the coast of Cali to the good ol' South to the middle of Minnesota, get off campus once in awhile and explore your surroundings. You never know who or what you're going to find.

9. Take advantage of all opportunities. 

There is always a plethora of activities going on on college campuses. Remember that there won't be many times in the rest of your life when you can study abroad or go to a Broadway play for $5. You also most likely won't be around handfuls of professors who are truly passionate about what they're teaching. Take advantage of everything, from free tye dye tshirts to the campus gym to school trips.

10. Everything is temporary.

That bad grade? It's temporary. That feeling of rejection because the boy in your Psych class totally ignored you? It's temporary. College? It's temporary. Don't sweat the small stuff, kid. There's too many amazing things out there.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments