The Importance of Realizing Your Self Worth

By Unknown - 9:58 AM

"Fearless is having the courage to say goodbye to someone who only hurts you, even though can’t breathe without them." Taylor Swift

I'm a very ironic person. While I am a perfectionist, I'm an emotional mess. I'm the girl that raises her hand constantly in class that you roll your eyes at. I'm the one who feels guilty for missing a meeting, or practice, or class just because I feel like it is preventing me from being better than I am now. I'm the girl that gives advice to her friends to accept their imperfections and love themselves whole heartedly, but I don't take my own advice. Why? Because I'm the girl that could take five hours out of my weekend to reorganize my closet and end up sitting on the floor with a tshirt pressed to my chest, unable to throw it away because I wore it in ninth grade at the bonfire where I had my first kiss. I skip certain songs on my iPod because they played during high school dances, but I keep them on there just in case I ever need them. I play with my own emotions and string myself along and because of that, I let other people do that to me too.


I would like to tell you that I'm so emotionally and mentally secure about myself that I wake up everyday with a smile on my face ready to face the world and know that I can take on everything and anything. But the truth is, that would be a lie. I don't feel like that and I probably never will. There probably won't be a day when I look in the mirror and don't see a flaw. There will never be a night where I go to bed and don't regret something I said or did or even ate. But what I have started to realize is even if we can't completely control our own thoughts and emotions about ourselves, we can try and really that makes all the difference. And when we do give ourselves self love and value our own being we can reject the way other people treat us when it doesn't meet our standards.

"Truly powerful women don’t explain why they want respect. They simply don’t engage those who don’t give it to them." Sherry Argov

Society tells us to be humble. While I do agree with being gracious and kind and wearing your heart on your sleeve I feel like there are limitations. Do we simply allow ourselves to get walked all over by other people simply because we want to be nice? To be honest, I don't think we should. I don't think we should be that person that people use simply because it is convenient and time-effective for them. We shouldn't be the person they call because they know we'll answer, because people like me always will answer. We should be the person they call because they want to, not because they know we'll be there.

“You lost her.

And now she lights up the night-time sky for her new lover cause he recognized her as the moon. And you envy him. She could’ve been your moon, but you were too busy chasing the dimly lit stars.”

—     Zienab Hamdan - Admit it, you messed up.

I've been that girl and I can't tell you how tired I am of it. Just like that bonfire shirt that still makes me smell October and embers, I give people space in my closet just because I would feel bad if I didn't despite the fact that it just doesn't fit anymore. I feel guilty about walking away because I never felt like I had been enough to chase after. And to be honest, I am so tired of feeling that way. It's exhausting to put so much energy into people who only drain you. I'm tired of putting people who treat me like I am replaceable and insignificant above myself. Because I'm not someone you can call when it's convenient. I don't want to be the person someone turns to when their words are slurred, I want to be the one they call as soon as they wake up because in their earliest moments of a new dawn they were thinking about me. I don't want to be someone's drunk text. I want to be their 4:30 am text when they wake up from a dream that I was in and they just had to tell me about it at that very moment.

"You are cuter than anyone who has ever hurt you."Anonymous


People always say that you don't know what you have until it's gone. Time and time again, I've seen this displayed in my life for me and other people. When you simply become someone's doormat, it is easy to feel lost and disrespected. It takes standing up for yourselves and saying how you feel and what you want in order to get respect. Of course, you could go about this two ways. Scenario one: you make a big scene and scream and cry and yell and pour all of that frustration out to the person and end up looking completely and entirely psychotic. Scenario two: you simply fade from the person's life quietly, leaving a gaping hole that they themselves will have to mend when they realize what they lost (for some reason I imagine this scenario to be in black and white and in slow motion.) Also, to spice things up a bit, you can write a blog post about this transcendence which might also be seen as psychotic but is ultimately therapeutic. Um, hello, I am an English major. But I promise you (and me), that this quiet leave will make missing you that much more powerful for the person because it's the kind of sadness that leaves you reminiscing while you look out of windows. It's the kind of loneliness you feel when you see their clothing in your room or see them across a crowded place. It's the frustration and confusion that overwhelms you when you're laying in bed at night but all you can think about is where you went wrong. It's not an angry, screaming, entirely immature and dramatic scene. It's quietly suffocating and painful without being right in front of you. It's literally feeling a person that you had in the palm of your hand slip between your fingers and knowing that you could've stopped it.
Of course, as much as I say this, it's going to be extremely difficult to do this slipping. I will always be that girl who feels guilty when they don't respond to a text message. I will always hurt a little bit inside when I avoid eye contact and bite my tongue because I want to say something. I will always be the girl that needs a couple minutes in the morning to take a deep breath and tell myself that I deserve more than I think I do. And you do too. But lately I've learned that it is better to be alone than to be with someone who makes you feel like you're alone, whether it be your significant other or your best friend. Being around someone who makes you feel like you're not enough is never going to be rewarding and I understand that feeling. And you will feel lonely for awhile. You'll feel like you just came in from a long night out for a long time. You'll feel the same way that you do when you're standing alone at a place that used to hold so much promise but when the lights turn on you realize it's just a dirty, smoky restaurant. You'll feel the way you do at 2:30 when people are heading home in pairs and you realize how many shots of tequila you’ve taken and even though you know there are seven billion people in the world, you could swear to God that no one could possibly feel as lonely as you do at that very moment.

But one day you're going to wake up and you're going to like the way your eyes look blue from straight on and green when you turn to the side. You're going to appreciate that dimple on your left cheek and the dozens of freckles on your nose. You're going to love the extra fluff on your hips and your butt. And when you stop focusing on the people in your life who  don't value these things and you start focusing on loving them yourself is when you'll find true happiness simply by realizing your own self worth. Suddenly, you won't need someone to kiss your bruises and mend your brokenness, because you will have done it on your own.

Infinite x's and o's,

kylee

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Hi viewers online, I'm Alfonso Vázquez from Mexico. I'm here to share my testimony about how i was helped to get my wife back. I was a cheat and my wife caught me several times. I tried fixing myself and each time i ended up cheating over and over again. I guess i didn't realise what she meant to me until she had left me alone. I began to find a way to get her back but nothing seems to work out perfectly till i came across an article about Lord Zakuza who helped a lot of people globally to get their relationships back. I made contact with him on his WhatsApp number via +1 740-573-9483 and he assured me that my wife will come back to me within 48 hours with his powerful magics and i paid 410 Euros for the materials needed for the work. Surprisingly, my wife came back home after 2 days saying that she still loves me and i swore never to cheat on her anymore. All thanks to Lord Zakuza. Email him via ( lordzakuza7@gmail.com ) or WhatsApp number via +1 740-573-9483.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete


  3. ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR0LOVESPELL I have been in bondage ever since my ex leave for another woman, It was really hell for me and everybody told me to forget about him but i could not because i love him so much, Things get worse until my friend introduced me to this great spell caster Dr. 0love who have save so many life and relationships and i contacted him through his email doctor0lovespell@gmail.com or whatsapp him on: +12017812375 i explain everything to him and he cast a spell for me immediately after 24 hours, everything turn around and my boyfriend came back to me on his knee begging for forgiveness that i am the one and only woman in his life now. i was surprise i have never seen such a miracle in my life. I am so thankful to this man and i will forever publish his name Dr 0love visit his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Lovespellthatworkfastusa or view his website: https://doctor0lovespell.wordpress.com/



    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up on that relationship due to cheating, lack of love or lack of trust, there is there is a man that does wonders with his spell in restoring a broken relationship, I give lord Bubuza praises for helping me to get my Ex boyfriend of 3 years back. My boyfriend of 3 years broke up with me because he wasn't finding me attractive and lovely enough anymore, I got the contact of lord Bubuza through a friend whom lord Bubuza has helped restore her relationship and I contacted him via WhatsApp: +1 505 569 0396, I told him my problem and I did as lord Bubuza told me and my Ex boyfriend came back begging me to forgive him and everything is perfect now, contact him today for help and you will testify too. Lord Bubuza WhatsApp: +1 505 569 0396 or via e-mail: lordbubuzamiraclework@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  6. How To Get Your Ex Lover/Partner/Boyfriend/Girlfriend/Wife Or Husband Back

    I was married for 16 years to a loving mother and wife. We had 2 children together who are now 11 & 13. I reconnected with an old girlfriend from college on Facebook and we began an affair and I left my wife. The woman I had an affair with is a wonderful woman and I love her too and our kids had begun accepting the situation and my wife has kind of moved on, but not in love with the man she is seeing. I thought I fell out of love with my wife and I felt terrible about what I did to her - she is a good woman and I don't know what came over me. I decided to try and get her back and I was recommended to Lord Zakuza for help to get reunited with my wife and within 48 hours after I made contact with Lord Zakuza my wife decided to work things out with me and now we are back together with our children living as one happy family. I really don't know the words to use in appreciation of what Lord Zakuza did for me but I will say thank you sir for reuniting I and my family back. For those in trying times with their marriages or relationship can communicate with LORD ZAKUZA through the below informations.

    Website via: lordzakuzaspells.com
    WhatsApp/call/text: +1 740 573 9483
    Email: Lordzakuza7 @gmail. com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  8. DR. OWO IS SUCH A GREAT MAN HE SAVE MY BROKEN MARRIAGE OF 9YEARS AND BROUGHT MY EX LOVING HUSBAND WHO WAS LATER WICKED TO ME AND MY CHILDREN BACK TO ME. MY HUSBAND DIVORCE ME AND LEFT THE KIDS TO MARRY ANOTHER LADY AND EVEN BOUGHT A HOUSE FOR THE LADY WHERE THEY LIVED. THEY MOVE OUT OF THE STATE FROM FLORIDA TO TEXAS AND HE NEVER CHECK UP ON US OR EVEN CARE ABOUT US ANY MORE. HE NEVER CALL NOR VISITS FOR A DAY. I HAVE TRIED TALKING TO HIS FRIENDS AND FAMILY MEMBER HE REFUSE TO LISTEN TO THEM ALL AND HE SAID IT OVER BETWEEN US. SO LUCKILY I GOT INTRODUCED TO DR. OWO BY A FRIEND WHO IS FAMILY IS ALWAYS LIVING IN HAPPINESS OVER 29YEARS OF THEIR MARRIAGE THEY NEVER HAD A MISUNDERSTANDING IN THERE HOME AND I ALWAYS WISH AND TELL HER IF MY FAMILY COULD BE HAPPY AS HER OWN SHE ALWAYS LAUGH AND SMILE AT ME SAYING IT A BLESSING FOR HER. WITH TIME SHE INTRODUCE ME TO DR OWO AND I CONTACTED HIM THROUGH: DROWOHERBS@GMAIL.COM AND TELL HIM MY LIFE STORY THEN HE DID A MIRACULOUS AND MARVELOUS W0RK FOR ME BY CASTING A SPELL FOR ME THAT HELP ME BROUGHT BACK MY LOVING HUSBAND IT 6 YEARS NOW WE ARE LIVING HAPPILY AND MY HEART FULL OF JOY WITH THE KIDS DR OWO IS A GREAT MAN REACH VIA WHATSAPP: +1 (717) 473-7391

    ReplyDelete