Kylee's Kaleidoscope : 5 Things I Learned from my Freshman Year of College

By Unknown - 12:30 PM



Well, it's over. My freshman year that is. It was a crazy whirlwind ride that took place in the city of sparkling lights, shiny objects, and beautiful people. From day one to the very last day I loved every second of my journey. However, that is not to say that it was  easy every step of the way. Through this journey I learned lots of important lessons. Here they are, from me to you.
1. Call your mom, and your dad, and your sisters, and your grandparents- Being away from home and starting college is tough and hectic. You're constantly busy finishing one thing and starting the next. However, when it all seems too much to handle, the best thing to do is to call your parents. Tell them you're fine if you are. And if not, tell them that too. Make sure to tell them you love them and miss them. Or just tell them you were thinking about them. Never take your family for granted.
2. While money is important, it definitely isn't everything - I'm certainly one who likes the feeling of a full Coach wallet. However, lately I've learned that the only thing that feels better than a full wallet, is a full heart. College is expensive. From the books to tuition to dorm supplies to everything else like special events and restaurant tabs. If you can't afford Louboutins, don't fret. Just like all good things, it'll come when it's supposed to. In addition, some of my favorite memories of college were the one's I didn't pay for, like spending a lazy Sunday studying on the quad or dancing around to music in my dorm room. Even more so, my absolute favorite moments were the ones where I was actually giving back to other people. Volunteering with an amazing organization like the Midnight Run showed me that the fact that I don't have a wallet full of bills at my disposal isn't the end of the world. In fact, it's not really important at all. What's important is how I treat people.
3. It's okay to say no and it's okay to say yes  - Lately I've found that tons of people are focusing on the word no. And I totally get it. When you don't want to do something or don't see it as beneficial to you, it's totally fine to stand up for yourself and say no. However, if there is the slightest possibility that you actually want to do something but are too afraid to take the risk, stop holding yourself back. It was my riskiest moments in college that I'll remember forever. Like raising my hand during class, or taking a modeling job, or going out with my friends to somewhere I've never been. Do something risky every day, whether it be ordering something you've never tried to talking to someone you've never met to applying to a job you think you'll never earn. When you actually feel yourself wanting something, say yes and go get it.
4.  The easiest way to get good grades is to take everything in bits and pieces - We all know that trying to write a ten page research paper in two days is a terrible idea. Yet, oftentimes I found myself waiting until the last minute to do something I know I should've done weeks ago. In those moments I found myself stressing out to the point where I would literally freak out on anyone. In these times of stress and insanity, I learned that the best way to do something is to pace yourself. Set deadlines and goals as soon as possible and actually follow through with them. The best way to do this is to buy yourself an agenda and actually write in it. Mine? Lilly Pulitzer of course. Snag yours at OfficeCandy.com and use code 10117 for a 10% off discount.
5. Take care of yourself first - Unfortunately there were many times this semester where I put myself -and my health - in risk. Stressing out ends absolutely terrible for me. This year I literally fluctuated my weight both up and down ten pounds. This was usually due to me overeating or skipping a couple of meals, not because I necessarily wanted to, but only because I was so stressed it happened! That's a 20 pound difference in a matter of months! Looking back in retrospect there are so many times I wish I ate a good meal, turned out the light, and went to bed a little bit earlier. The most important thing in college is to make sure that you're taking care of you!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments